Help! I need to change the name of my LLC!
One of my least favorite things is when I have to tell my 1:1 Trademark clients that they have to consider rebranding, which 9 times out of 10 involves a name change.
Luckily, I’ve got the steps down pat on how to change your LLC name so hopefully, I can save you the headache of looking that up yourself.
If you’re considering a name change for your LLC follow these steps to make it official:
- Research to make sure your new business name is available! This usually starts with an internet search, running a State database search and preliminary trademark search. Don’t forget to check if your domain name and social handles are available too!
- Submit a Name Change Request on your Secretary of State’s Corporations website or portal. It’s usually just a form you fill out and pay a nominal fee to have processed. These name changes are usually approved and made official at the State level within a few days after the request
- In order to make the name change official on the Federal level (aka with the IRS), you will need to write a letter to the IRS informing them of the name change and send to the address where you filed your most recent year’s tax return.
- If applicable, update your name with any Permitting or Licensing offices in your state.
- Don’t forget to update your bank with the name change as well! You will usually need to send them confirmation of the name change once approved by the State. Occasionally, a bank may ask for an updated Form SS-4 from the IRS which is your EIN or Tax Payer ID number and includes your business’ formal name.